Texas Rangers are World Series champions for the first time in franchise history after defeating the Arizona Diamondbacks in Game 5 of the 2023 World Series on Wednesday night.
The Texas Rangers clinched their first ever title with a thrilling 5-0 victory over the Diamondbacks at Chase Field. Texas went an astonishing 11-0 on the road this postseason, the longest road winning streak in franchise history.
Righty Josh Sborz, who had a 5.50 ERA during the regular season and 0.75 ERA during the postseason, recorded the 27th and final out with a called strike three against Ketel Marte.
The Rangers’ victory was a long time coming for a franchise that has played in Arlington since 1972. Texas had reached the World Series twice before, in 2010 and 2011, but lost on both occasions.
This year’s Texas Rangers team was led by a powerful offense that averaged 5.2 runs per game during the regular season. The Texas Rangers also had a solid pitching staff, led by ace Nathan Eovaldi, who went 16-9 with a 3.38 ERA during the regular season and 4-0 with a 1.47 ERA in the playoffs.
Eovaldi started Game 5 for the Rangers and pitched six strong innings, allowing just three hits and striking out seven batters. He was relieved by Sborz, who pitched the final three innings to earn the save.
The Rangers’ offense came to life in the late innings of Game 5. Texas scored four runs in the seventh inning, including a three-run home run by Corey Seager, who was named the World Series MVP.
Seager batted .350 with two home runs and seven RBIs in the World Series. He also scored four runs and stole two bases.
The Rangers’ World Series title is a historic moment for the franchise and its fans. It is a fitting end to a remarkable season for the Rangers, who overcame many challenges to achieve their ultimate goal.
More information about the Texas Rangers’ 2023 World Series victory:
- The Texas Rangers finished the regular season with a record of 102-60, the best record in the American League.
- Texas won the American League West division by 10 games over the Houston Astros.
- The Rangers defeated the Seattle Mariners in the American League Division Series and the New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series to reach the World Series.
- The Rangers defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks in six games to win the 2023 World Series.
Rangers shortstop Corey Seager was named the World Series MVP. He batted .350 with two home runs and seven RBIs in the series.
- Rangers pitcher Josh Sborz earned the save in Game 5 of the World Series, striking out Ketel Marte to end the game.
- The Rangers’ World Series victory was the first in franchise history.
Recap of Game 5 of the 2023 World Series:
- The Rangers scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning to break open a close game. Corey Seager hit a three-run home run to give the Rangers a 4-0 lead.
- Rangers pitcher Nathan Eovaldi pitched six strong innings, allowing just three hits and striking out seven batters. He was relieved by Josh Sborz, who pitched the final three innings to earn the save.
- The Diamondbacks tried to rally in the bottom of the ninth inning, but Sborz struck out Ketel Marte to end the game and give the Rangers their first ever World Series title.
- The Rangers’ World Series victory was a historic moment for the franchise and its fans. It was a fitting end to a remarkable season for the Rangers, who overcame many challenges to achieve their ultimate goal.